RPSC A.En Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
Section A: Syllabus for (Preliminary Examination)
General Knowledge and General Science including General Knowledge of Rajasthan – its Geography, Economy and culture:
1. Current affairs: - Current events of State, National and International importance. National & International agencies and their activities. Games & Sports at State, National and International levels
2. History & Culture: - Land Marks in the political and cultural history of India. Major monuments and literary works. Renaissance, struggle for freedom and national integration. History & Culture of Rajasthan with special reference to:-
(a) The medieval background.
(b) Socio-economic life and organisation.
(c) Freedom movement and political awakening.
(d) Political integration.
(e) Dialects and Literature.
(f) Music, Dance & theatre.
(g) Religious beliefs, cults, saints, poets, Warrior-saints, Lok Devtas & Lok Deviyan.
(i) Fairs and Festivals, Customs, Dresses, Ornaments with special reference to Folk & tribal aspects thereof.
3. General Science: - General Science will cover General appreciation and understanding of Science including matters of everyday observations and experiences. Candidates are supposed to be familiar with matters such as electronics tele-communications, Satellites and elements of computers (both Hard & Soft Wares), research labs including CSIR managed national labs and institutes. Environment & pollution etc.
4. Economic Developments with special reference to Rajasthan: - Food and Commercial Crops of Rajasthan, Agriculture based Industries, Major irrigation and River Valley Projects, Projects for the development of the desert and waste lands. Indira Gandhi Canal Project, growth and location of industries, Industrial raw materials. Mineral based industries, Small scale and Cottage industries, export items Rajasthani handicrafts, Tribes and their economy. Cooperative movement. Tourism Development in Rajasthan. Various five years Plans: Objectives and progress. Major economic problems of Rajasthan and obstacles for economic development . Current budget of Rajasthan and Central Government. Economic Reforms in India and their impact. Commercial banks and other financial institutions in Rajasthan
5. Geography and Natural Resources:-
(I) Broad – physical features of the world important places, rivers, mountains, continents, oceans.
(II) Ecology and wild – life of India.
(III) Rajasthan's Physiography: Climate, vegetation and soil regions. Broad physical divisions of Rajasthan . Human resources: problems of population, unemployment, poverty, Drought, famine and desertification in Rajasthan. Natural resources of Rajasthan . Mines and Minerals, forests, Land water. Animals' resources. Wild-life and conservation . Energy problems and conventional and non-conventional sources of Energy.
Section B: Optional Paper (Preliminary Examination)
1. Theory of Machines: Kinematic pairs, Kinematic chain, Mechanism and Inversion, Slider-crank chain, Displacement, velocity and acceleration of a point in mechanism and their determination, Coriolis acceleration, Mechanisms for straight line motion. Laws of friction, brakes and dynamometers, types of gears and gears trains. Types of Governors, Governor effort and power, static & dynamic balancing, Longitudinal, transverse and torsional vibration.
2. Strength of Materials: Static stresses in machine parts, Deformation, Unit deformation (Strain), Poisson's ratio, direct stress, shear stress, principal stresses. Compound stresses, torsional stress, stress – strain relationship, bending moment and shear force diagram for beams, Laminated and coil springs, shafts, thick & thin wall pressure vessels, Concept of fatigue, fracture & creep.
3. Material Science: Crystal structure, space lattice, crystalline and amorphous solids, Coordination number, Atomic packing factor, determination of crystal structure, imperfection in crystals, mechanism of plastic deformation, work hardening, recrystalization, Heat treatment of steel, Composition, Properties and applications, Common engineering materials, corrosion, Plastics & their properties.
4. Manufacturing Processes: Moulding and casting methods, Principle of arc and gas welding, Brazing & soldering, Metal forming processes, Basic machining processes and machine tools, Hot & cold working of metals, Mechanism of metal cutting, geometry of single point cutting tool and tool materials.
5. Industrial Engineering and Management : Types of business organization, Principles of management, elements of management, organization charts, elements of costing, Break even analysis, types of budget and budgetary control, Profit & Loss account, balance sheet, motion study, time study, plant layout, material handling, CPM, PERT, Scheduling, dispatching, routing and inventory, Materials management.
6. Thermodynamics: Basic concepts of thermodynamics, Laws of thermodynamics and their application to different flow and non-flow systems, Gas power cycles and vapour power cycles.
7. Heat transfer : Conduction, convection and radiation phenomenon, Combined modes of heat transfer, Critical insulation, Fins, Non-dimensional numbers applied to heat transfer, Thermal boundary layer, Introduction to two phase heat transfer, Heat exchangers.
8. Environmental Engineering : Basic air and refrigeration cycles, Vapour compression refrigeration, Vapour absorption refrigeration, Expansion devices, Refrigerants and their properties, Psychrometric chart and psychrometric processes, Air conditioning for human comfort and comfort chart, Cooling load calculation.
9. Fluid Mechanics and trubomachines : Fluids and their properties, Kinematics and dynamics of fluid flow, dimensional analysis and similitude, Introduction to boundary layer flow, fluid flow through pipes, Flow measurements, Hydraulic pumps and turbines, Air compressors, Gas turbines and steam turbines.
10. Power Generation : SI and CI engines, Combustion phenomenon, Fuels, carburetor and injection system, High pressure modern boilers, Stream plant layout and different accessories, Hydro power plant layout, Introduction to nuclear, MHD and biogas power plants, Economics and sharing of load techniques of different plants.